Ask yourself what long-term effect any of these symptoms may have on the development of self esteem and worthiness of a child. Often children experiencing ADD are so ashamed of their perceived inadequacies that they withdraw into themselves to avoid being “found out”. They end up with the label of “being slow” or worse which stays with them right through school. The other reaction may be the “class clown” syndrome of a child acting out the belief that nothing bothers them. How sad that they begin their lives under the shadows of such false faces.
What is the standard “treatment” for ADD? Currently more than 7 million North American children take drugs which contain substances to alter the brain’s neurotransmitter system in preliminary research conducted at Toronto’s Clark Institute. The lifelong impact of such alteration is yet unknown.
Yet what is a desperate parent to do? They can’t just stand by and let their children be labeled and miserable under such a diagnosis. There are other options which are completely natural available to help ADD children. The natural approach, which supports overall wellness in the lifestyles of ADD children and their families, offers an array of alternatives which may include:
- A complete analysis of dietary and nutritional needs of the individual. It is important to look at allergies including wheat, dairy, soy and corn. Sugar consumption can play havoc with hyperactivity or with concentration issues. It is also important to see how much food that they are eating contains hormones, artificial chemicals or preservatives. Supplementation may be key because it can provide the right minerals, nutrients and essential fatty acids that are crucial to brain and cognitive development.
- Including regular Chiropractic check-ups, combined with patience and perseverance, just may bring the results we seek. Health begins at the cellular level. Each portion of our body--our skin, blood, bones, and organs--is made up of cells (about 75 trillion of them!) Each of those individual cells has five fundamental needs. None of these cellular functions, however, can be accomplished without communication from the brain to every tissue and organ in the body. The brain must send messages to the body’s cells (efferent transmission) and the cell must communicate its needs back to the brain (afferent transmission) through the nervous system. That is why all approaches to health care should begin with assurance of a healthy flow of nerve impulses to allow the body to function at its optimal level. If this flow of communication is impaired, all of our valiant attempts to eat right, take vitamins or herbs, exercise, etc., will be compromised.
- Flower Essences as a safe, natural way to support a child in releasing old patterns of behavior associated with ADD Blends are available to encourage focus, self esteem and a calming of behavior, providing a fresh new start to learning. Flower Essences are free of negative side effects and may be used in conjunction with all other forms of treatment.
- Homeopathic remedies are very helpful with ADD/ADHD because they can address the emotional components of the disorder without concern for side effects. A good book to read on homeopathy is Ritalin-Free Kids by Judyth Reichenberg-Ullman and Robert Ullman. Homeopathic remedies are suited to the symptoms of the individual rather then the disease name. This makes things very individualized. Two products that are safe and well tested are Attend by VAXA and Focus by www.NativeRemedies.com
- Yoga and Martial Arts classes have shown tremendous benefits for all children. They can improve ability to :
- Heighten memory and mental concentration
- Build self esteem and increase self confidence
- Improve listening skills and increase coordination/flexibility
- Quiet the Mind
Each of these modalities of holistic wellness offers a unique and vital link in the support system of the child. Together they form a positive, alternative option to the use of chemical therapies. The choices are available; the results are proving themselves successful beyond all expectations, as more and more ADD children who have lived with the pain and frustration of their seemingly hopeless situation are experiencing the freedom of coming into focus through programs of total body wellness.
Irene Maltzan received my training and certification to practice Health Counseling at the Institute for Integrative Nutrition, which is the only nutrition school integrating all the different dietary theories—combining the knowledge of traditional philosophies with modern concepts like the USDA food pyramid, the glycemic index, the Zone and raw foods.Go to www.youtube.com and check out Healthy Cooking with Irene Maltzan. Please send your email address at email@example.com to find out more about the Wellness Tree programs for healthy living.